This year’s Paterson Historic Walk will be hosted by Dr Cameron Archer AM, President of Paterson Historical Society. The walk will take visitors around the centre of the village and describe the origins of European settlement. The Paterson district is bountiful and would have supported a considerable population of Aboriginal people but sadly few records are available regarding their lives in the area.
Paterson School of Arts has stood proudly in Duke St for 86 years, being built in 1935 in the dying days of the Great Depression. It was not the first such building in the Village. Another building, constructed in 1884 and still standing in King St, was the first Paterson School of Arts but by the 1930s it was too small for the growing community. Its small size, along with confidence in the dairy industry, provided the impetus for a new building.
The Paterson Courthouse Museum with its extensive display of district history and memorabilia will be open.
A feature after the walk is participants can visit the adjacent Rail Motor Society Museum and depot to view its interesting collection of railmotors. You will be amazed at what is there to see.
Bring a hat, walking shoes and a water bottle. The walk lasts about an hour and a half and requires reasonable walking mobility.